History - Ficus virens
The disciduous white fig tree (Fiscus virens) dated 200 to 400 years old remains a significant landmark for both the indigenous people of the area and European settlers in what is now the RSL Memorial Park, Poinciana Avenue, Tewantin.
This is the first photo where it is showing the Ficus virens in Tewantin - approx 1885.
View of Tewantin township and white fig tree, overlooking the Noosa River, ca 1890
This photo shows the Fig tree as it stood infront of the Tewantin Post Office , ca 1964. The tree is still there today.
View of Tewantin , Gooloi Street (poinciana Ave), ca 1920
At this site was an aboriginal burial tree and later a popular meeting place for the Tewantin pioneers. Below this site paddle wheel steamers docked for timber from the 1870's. The tree was adopted as the official logo of the Tewantin-Noosa Garden Club in 1994
Ficus virens -common name white fig.
It is a large tree in excess of 30 metres tall, with a trunk diameter exceeding 1.8 metres. It can be semideciduous. Heavily buttressed at the base. The bark is smooth and grey with various bumps and lenticels on the trunk. Small branches smooth, but with scars of leaf stipules. Leaves form with the stipules, and they are shed when the leaf develops.
Leaves are alternate on the stem, 5 to 20 cm long, 2.5 to 6 cm wide. Ovate lanceolate in shape. Leaves thin, shiny green above, duller paler green below. Leaves with a short but noticeable tip, often curling to one side. Leaf base somewhat rounded. Leaf stalks narrow and long, 2 to 5 cm in length.
Flowers form within a receptacle, a syconium. Flowers pollinated by fig wasps within the fig. The mature fig changes to a white, pinkish or brown colour with red spots, 10 mm in diameter, almost stalkless on the stem. Fruit ripe in Australia mostly June to August, or at all times during the year.
The figs eaten by a large variety of birds including Australasian figbird, green catbird, Lewin's honeyeater, topknot pigeon and pied currawong. Regeneration is achieved from fresh seed and cuttings. The marcotting technique of propagation is suited to Ficus virens var. sublanceolata.
Suited to parks and large gardens as an ornamental tree. Often seen planted in Australian parks and botanic gardens. The timber is of no commercial use.
On the 11th May 1964 the Tewantin-Noosa Garden Club was formed when 17 intending members met in the C.W.A. Rooms Tewantin and elected President Tina Duncan, Secretary Helen Edwards and Treasurer Mrs McGladrigan, thus establishing a non-fundraising, non-profit making club that welcomed all interested gardeners. An annual membership fee of 10s-6d was decided upon with 6d for afternoon tea. Guest speakers were invited and competitions held in Floral Art, Flowers for Fun, Cut Flowers, Potted Plants, Vegetables, Herbs, Fruit, and Tropical Fruit. A library was established.
Over the next 50 years the club has moved meeting venue a number of times but has kept to the principles established in 1964. Membership has fluctuated over the years - up to 110 in 2008 - 60 at our 50th celebration and 100 in 2016.
From inception to the 1990s floral arrangements were a big part of the club’s competition and activity.
Club Achievements over the years include participation in the Nambour Chelsea Flower Show from 1969 to 1974, then 1978 to 1987 and 1994. Back in the sixties activities included Floral carpets as non-competitive displays at the CWA Flower shows, bouquets for Debutante Balls, sprays for the Tewantin State School “Maytime Quest Entrants” and special arrangements for the opening of Noosa’s Shire Library.
Co-operation with Noosa Council began early with a two guinea donation to the “Sandfly Eradication Campaign” in 1965 and two members on the “Beautification Committee”- helping with planting gardens around the Ambulance and Noosa Arts: street tree plantings in 1967, 1976, 1982; Swift Park Cooroy as well as Australia Day plantings.
In September 1978 the Club affiliated with the Garden Club of Australia Inc. Affiliation with the Queensland Council of Garden Clubs Inc. came in September 1981. In 1991 came affiliation with the Floral Art Society of Queensland Inc. In 1995 the Club won the inaugural “Sally Kalina Award for the Best Effort within an Australian Zone”. In 1996 the QCGC Twin Club Scheme teamed TNGC with Stafford Garden Club.
The annual “Club Champion” trophy commenced in 1995 when a painting was commissioned from club member Lesley Fishbourne.
A monthly newsletter called “The Afternoon Tea Tree” was started in 1989 and continued to be published in that format for 10 years. Tewantin-Noosa Garden Club Inc. Newsletter is the new style with news, competition results and members articles.
Through the years the garden club has held excursions- either by bus or car pool - to many public and private gardens and to the Toowoomba Flower festival. Many interesting speakers have shared their knowledge on a wide variety of garden subjects - showing members how to prune, pot, divide, test soil and treat disease. Friendship days are held each year to promote friendship and gardening with other clubs and local residents.
Tewantin War Memorial, Town Square, circa 1931
Tewantin-Noosa Garden Club will inspire, teach & help gardeners now & into the future
The TEWANTIN-NOOSA GARDEN CLUB logo is this Ficus virens - var. sublanceolata
Ficus virens - var. sublanceolata
Ficus virens - Today
The History of Tewantin-Noosa Garden Club 1964 - to present day